Saturday, January 12, 2008

Affordable cars and killer taxes

Well, India has the world a buzz after showcasing their new 2500 dollar car to accommodate the burgeoning lower-middle class in India. As an environmentalist, I’m of course a wee suspect and a tad worried over the prospect of an additional 300,000 drivers and carbon emitting machines, regardless of how good the mileage is. Still, I’d prefer one million of these than 10,000 HUMMERS. I digress.

However, I don’t want to comment on that. I found an interesting article in the Brazilian press about the car and what is being heralded as the most inexpensive car in the world. To my amsuement, if this CHEAP car was imported to Brazil (as calculated by local economists well versed in the retarded and suffocating taxes Brazil levies on imports), it would no longer be the cheapest car on Earth but a moderately price vehilce in Brazil. They’ve figured out that with all the taxes and placed on the car (Brazil has some of the strickest protectionist policies in place), what was worth 2500 dollars in India would cost 7500 dollars here. That´s without the resellers markup. Like I’ve said before: THEIVES, EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM! (the politicians, mind you). I´ve mentioned this on a number of occasions; when it comes to foreign products or foreigners in general, we’re fxxxed.

However, what caught my attention too was the throw away line offered by one of the economists stating that the emission's standards probably wouldn’t pass in Brazil. At this point, I passed an entire cup of coffee through my nose in a laughing fit that damn near shattered my ribs. This economist owes me a new keybopard. I’ve no doubt that ON PAPER Brazil requires emission standards probably equal to that of Canada or any other European Nation, however there is an imporant phrase in Brazil: “Pra Inglese ver”. Meaning, “for the English to see”. What that actually means is that we can put anything we’d like on paper or in a law, however, don’t worry about it and carry on as usual (nudge nudge wink wink, ya know whatamean). Brazil’s cities are plagued with some of the most polluting vehicles and buses I’ve ever seen, not to mention the particulates released from burning the Amazon that settle in small towns are 4 times greater than the exceptable health limit.

No comments: